All Linux users can play poker on PokerStars. The only thing that they need to do is to install the wine – a free open source software that lets Linux users to run poker clients of any online poker room. This article highlights some easy steps that Linux users can follow to play poker on PokerStars.
1. Install Wine on your Linux System: To play poker on linux, you just need to download install the binary packages for Wine and Wine Tools. Wine Tools is a very useful application for installing poker clients and under wine and setting up you Wine directory.
2. After installing wine and wine tools on your Linux computers, you can just start, download the file PokerStarsInstall.exe (poker client software) from PokerStars and save it to /tmp. Now issue the following command: wine /tmp/PokerStarsInstall.exe
3. Now this will start the PokerStars installation. You need to follow the same steps that you would to install the application on a Windows operating system. Just accept the PokerStars terms and conditions and select the directory where you want to install the poker client.
4. Drive locations under Wine use the virtual drive labels created by the WineTools setup. However, you are suggested to install everything under C:, which will be under the ~/.wine directory by default. Now same as on Windows, some applications will ask you to reboot your machine when the installation is complete. Remember, you don’t need to reboot your Linux computer, but only the wine environment.
5. Now run the wineboot utility to start a Windows reboot; rather than taking several minutes, it will usually complete in a few seconds.
6. When the installation is complete, you may have new desktop icon with you can use to starts the poker client. In case, you don’t find that icon on your desktop. Then, find the real installation directory — for example, ~/.wine/c/Program Files/PokerStars — and run the poker client directly using the following command: wine PokerStars.exe.
7. Now enter your username and password, browse the poker lobby, join a table and start playing your favorite online poker games like Texas Hold’em, Omaha, 7 Card Stud and many more.