The SWF file extension is an open file arrangement utilized for multimedia, especially in raster and vector graphics. The file extension SWF, created by Future Wave Software presently managed by Adobe, contains computer graphics or applets of changeable levels of function and interactivity. The file extension SWF can function for the creation of animated graphic presentations and menus used for DVD movies and TV advertisements. It presently acts as the most common setup for exhibiting animated vector graphics via Web far beyond the W3C standard codec SVG.
Initially, the SWF data format was limited to the representation of vector-based images and items using a straightforward chronological approach. The newer version of the SWF file extension allows audio, video, and several possible structures to interface with the client. Once produced, files with the extension SWF are accessible through Adobe Flash Player, functioning as a standalone player or as a browser plug-in. The player accumulates SWF files generating an independent film known as a “projector”.
Future Wave produced the SWF standard with a single key purpose: to generate miniature files used for displaying animations. The design was to produce a format reusable by the player working on the Operating System that requires slow network connections. Plug-ins used to run files with the extension SWF within Web browsers are accessible from Adobe and may be used by the majority of desktop Operating Systems including Mac, Microsoft Windows, and Linux x86. The Gnash and FOSS implementations are the downloadable applications of the player. These applications may be opened with the file extension SWF.
The creator of the SWF file extension mainly intended it to distribute animations and graphics through the Internet. The SWF file extension provides its user the following benefits:
- on-screen demonstration – the format applies for on-screen displays supporting anti-alias, quick interpretation to a bitmap format, interactive buttons, and animation;
- speed – a file of this type provides quality animation very quickly;
- extensibility – the arrangement is a labeled format, evolving with new characteristics while preserving compatibility with other players;
- straightforwardness-the format is very simple for the player to be ported;
- and scalability – the quality does not fall even with monitors with different bit depths and resolutions